Greetings and welcome to the San Francisco Heritage Preservation Society. We respectfully invite you to partake in our illustrious exhibit and grandstand of San Francisco’s truest traditions and indigenous culture. Our aim is to ceremoniously promote the historic establishments, the iconic institutions, and the particularly distinct characters that collectively hoist and bolster this city’s peerless heritage.
Degrees of membership can be elevated as we unfurl, unroll, and brandish an assortment of curiosities and contrivances steeped in the Society’s oath: to uphold and parade San Francisco’s fine history. Initiates welcomed daily.
The Heritage Preservation Society together with Paul's Hat Works presents to you the "Black Bart Bowler."
San Francisco's oldest hatter in town was established in 1918 and continues the tradition of old world fine hat making. Specializing in classic panama straw and beaver felt; Paul's Hat Works handcrafts each piece.
Commemorating one of thee most infamous old west outlaws and stagecoach robbers in San Francisco history, The Society presents The Black Bart Bowler. Charles Earl Bowles aka Black Bart, the "gentleman bandit", was known for his signature black bowler along with his duster and polite etiquette. He exclusively robbed 28 Wells Fargo stagecoaches in the late 1800's. Each stickup was done on foot - flour sack over the head with eyeholes cut out - and armed with an unloaded shotgun.
Black Bart's infamy and legend stretched further as he was known to leave poems inside the emptied strongboxes. You can find two of which that has been printed by hand atop the custom hatbox that accompanies each bowler.
Paul's Hat Works
Deep Richmond District, SF
The Heritage Preservation Society together with the oldest haberdasher in town, Cable Car Clothiers, presents the Cable Car Bow Tie.
Established in 1939, by Charles Pivnick also known as Mr. P, Cable Car Clothiers has remained family owned and operated in San Francisco’s Downtown area for over 73 years. The City by The Bay’s original old-time haberdashery specializes in imported English goods, including the city’s finest hat selection, tweed shooting jackets, apothecaries, and dapper accouterments.
The Society and CCC present the Cable Car Bow Tie, made exclusively for both locations by Bentley Cravatz in NYC. The printed silk tie features some of the earliest imagery found of San Francisco’s famed cable cars. Only 50 pieces made.
Cable Car Clothiers can be found in its brand new historic location just east of Union Square. The building was built in 1907 and harkens back to old San Francisco. Cable Car also features Nicky The Barber, who specializes in genuine 1920’s, 30’s, and 40’s cuts and shaves.
Cable Car Clothiers
110 Sutter Street
Quantity limited to 50 pieces.
The Society presents the Shotgun Cartridge Shooter Glass in honor of the oldest gun club in town, the Pacific Rod & Gun Club. Established in 1934 at Lake Merced, the historic gun club is the last of its kind in San Francisco. It is the only place in town that offers outdoor trap and skeet shooting, permitting the use of shotguns and .22 caliber rifles exclusively.
This age old institution has been a haven for hunters and enthusiasts of the sport of shooting for the last 78 years. Ernest Hemmingway has even shot clay pigeons here. The club is open to the public and all visitors are welcome. Unfortunately, city commissions are threatening the Pacific Rod and Gun Club’s existence at Lake Merced.
In support of the club we welcome our constituents to visit Pacific Rod and/or contact the Club Spokesman directly to learn how to help save this special piece of San Francisco.
To offer your support please email:
Pacific Rod & Gun Club
SUBJECT: Pacific Rod & Gun Club Letters
Quantity limited to 145 pieces.
The Heritage Preservation Society would like to honor the most iconic street performer in San Francisco history, the world famous, Bushman. As his name suggests, he in fact disguises himself as a bush, taking camouflage behind two custom made branches of real life foliage. Seemingly a part of the woodwork, passer byres receive a sudden jolt of unexpected alarm as the Bushman lunges.
Since 1979, this pioneer of pan-handling has been building his legend far and wide and has been a fixture in Fisherman’s Wharf for over three decades. Long live the reign of Bushman.
The Heritage Preservation Society together with one of San Francisco’s most classic clubs, Bimbo’s 365, present the Mr. Bimbo Prohibition Cup & Saucer. We celebrate and honor the man, the myth, who started it all and created the Copa Cabana of the West Coast and ultimately the best show in town.
Agostino “Bimbo” Giuntoli opened The 365 Club in 1931 when the Eighteenth Amendment to the Constitution was in full swing. Though known for the silver buckets, showgirls, multi-course dinners, and crooners, Bimbo’s also operated as one of the many speakeasies during the Prohibition years. Rumor has it that Mr. Bimbo would serve gin in coffee cups to keep desired and illicit beverages under the radar.
Family owned and operated to this day, Bimbo’s is a true San Francisco institution, where one might even still be able to catch a glance at the naked lady dancing in the fishbowl behind the bar.
The Mr. Bimbo Prohibition Cup and Saucer is culled from vintage Bimbo's advertisements from the 30's and 40's and is limited to 140 sets.
“There’s never a bad night at The 365 Club!” – Mr. Bimbo
The Heritage Preservation Society pays homage to the notorious island penitentiary of Alcatraz with this double "mug" set. The Alcatraz Mugs feature two of the prison’s most infamous jailbirds, "Al" and the "Birdman".
Al Capone, the Brooklyn born, Chicago kingpin was sent to the big house in 1932 for tax evasion and was soon transferred to Alcatraz in 1934. The most iconic American gangster, bootlegger, and criminal spent 5 years on the "rock" before being released in 1939.
Franklin Stroud also known as the "Birdman of Alcatraz" became an inmate of the island in 1942. Having spent much of his life jailed, he earned his nickname from rescuing and rearing birds while behind bars. The Birdman even sold canaries, while imprisoned at Alcatraz during his 17-year stretch.
Spanish for pelican, Alcatraz was first a military prison in 1868, and prior to which, the native Ohlone Indians believed the island to be cursed. In 1933 it became a federal slammer and soon earned its reputation for housing the toughest crooks in the country. Operating for only 30 years, Alcatraz closed in 1963 but to this day remains a national landmark.
The mugs feature mug sketches, hand-illustrated and in limited quantity of 130 sets.
The Heritage Preservation Society would like to honor the iconic fast-food restaurant chain, the Doggie Diner with the commemorative DD Collector's Plate.
Established in San Francisco in 1949 by local entrepreneur Al Ross, the Bay Area chain featured colossal wiener-dog heads wearing bow ties and chef hats atop each doggie stand. The Doggie Diner soon became a sensation and eventually found itself synonymous with the city by the bay.
Decades later in the 80's, the fast-food industry exploded with the proliferation of burger-juggernauts like McDonald's and Burger King. Unfortunately, the city's very own Doggie Diner was forced to close down by 1986. Enormous abandoned Doggie heads slowly were taken down and removed...except for one, to which stands to this day, saved by a neighborhood and declared an official city landmark. The last head in town can be found at Sloat and 45th Ave overlooking San Francisco's Sunset District and the location of its last diner.
The Society celebrates this iconic fast-food stand with our limited edition commemorative plate, remembering one of San Francisco's finest treats in town. Only 75 plates made.
"Nothing's finer than the Doggie Diner."
IMPORTANT NOTE: Plate is for decoration only and is neither food safe or dishwasher safe.
The San Francisco Heritage Preservation Society together with John's Grill and The Dashiell Hammett Society would like to welcome you all to partake in the unveiling of a true city treasure. Meticulously hand carved and sculpted in SF for Upper Playground we present to you the Maltese Falcon pendant.
The Maltese Falcon was written in San Francisco in 1930 by author Dashiell Hammett and is recognized as one of the most classic "hard boiled" detective tales of all time. Set in San Francisco during the 1920's, this murder mystery masterpiece follows private eye, Sam Spade and his plot-twisting search for a priceless falcon statue. Through the back alleyways of the city by the bay, Spade dodges double-crossing crooks, hired goons, and a seductive femme fatale.
In 1941 Humphrey Bogart starred in its cinematic adaptation, which now has become a piece of noir history and one of San Francisco's most classic films.
Today the legend of the Falcon lives on, in downtown San Francisco, perched behind glass on the second floor at one of the city's oldest institutions and Mr. Hammett's favorite hangout, John's Grill. Established in 1908, John's pays tribute to the old days and is the home to the famed author's very own society. Next time you find yourself in downtown San Francisco, be sure to walk right into John's Grill and order what Sam Spade had, "chops, baked potatoes, sliced tomatoes…"
Standing at 1/1000 the size of the actual statue, this bronze relic pays homage to one of the greatest San Franciscan stories ever told. Meticulously hand carved and sculpted in San Francisco by local up-and-coming jeweler, designer and graffiti artist, DMD Metal.
John's Grill & The Dashiell Hammett Society
63 Ellis Street
Downtown, San Francisco
The Heritage Preservation Society in conjunction with Botanica Yoruba presents the Candlestick Park 49er Prayer Candle. The candle commemorates one of the most legendary stadiums in NFL history and the home to 5 Super Bowl rings and counting. As the big move to Santa Clara approaches, the candle aims to celebrate the final days of the Candlestick era.
Kick off each game with a new Niner ritual. Light the candle and summon 49er greatness. The history and tradition will forever burn at Candlestick Park.
The candle includes a special prayer on the back in English/ Spanish courtesy of Botanica Yoruba, the oldest most historic botanica in San Francisco.
Botanica Yoruba specializes in prayer candles, magic soap, ointments and other spiritual effects to help bring guidance and peace to your life. All are welcome, no matter your affiliation, denomination, ailment, or woe. Since 1978, it has been a staple in the Mission District and the home for city dwellers' spiritual accoutrements.
Botanica Yoruba is located at 3423 19th Street in San Franciscos Mission District.